Thursday, August 12, 2010

Finding inspiration

      I usually get ideas for new paintings at the worst possible time. When I have a hundred other projects I'm working on, or when life is just so hectic (which is, like all the time) that finding ten minutes a day to paint seems like a major accomplishment.

     So, I have a little notebook. And when I get that super-awesome-flash-of-inspiration, I write down the basic idea. This is more like a direction I want to go with my work, not specific and detailed sketches or value plans. It's for those flickers of ideas you have when you don't know exactly what you're going to do, but you know you want to do SOMETHING along this general line of thought. Does that even make any sense? I'm confusing myself here.

      Anyway, last week me and my husband watched Bright Star, much to his dismay ;). I love the romantic poets and John Keats best of all (and I'm not a poetry expert, like not even a little bit), and ever since I watched this movie I can't stop thinking about it.


      I think I'm getting some ideas for paintings of couples. And maybe period costumes. That would be cool :) Maybe some big, tragic, epic. . . Yeah, maybe just a smaller painting or two of couples, and relationships. Something romantic, but not over the top romantic, maybe something more subtle. . .


      And, this painting is one of my favorite paintings ever. I love it not only for the artist's technique, but for the powerful feeling I have when I look at it. The feeling that I can do anything. If you click here you can go see it. It's beautiful, powerful and inspiring.

      I love the story behind it, every time I see it I always feel like I can overcome. The man, Captain Moroni, is holding a piece of his coat that he's ripped. He's trying to rally his people to defend their religion and their families from persecution, and he wrote about that on his coat. To remind them of what they were fighting for. This, to me, is some of my favorite kind of art. Art that touches the soul.

      One last piece of inspiration before I go. I took my kids to the county fair today. I'm a brave woman right? I had my camera ready and got some really great shots of horses and wildlife that I'm excited about. Here's one of them:


Oh and take a look at this one:



Such a sweet innocent face.

Yep, I think so too.

Or at least I did.

Until he snuck behind me to play next to some gross, muddy, manure-infested water.

And yes, to answer your question, he did fall in that water.

Oh it's fun to go to the fair. Isn't it?

8 comments:

  1. That adorable face shouts mischief! What a sweetie. I have a few of those too ; )

    I like that you have a favourite painting. I'm going to have to think on that and really decide what mine is. A dear old friend from (at the time) East Germany once told me of his favourite painting and expounded on the beauty of it. He gave me a museum guide book that had a picture of it inside. I was so taken with how he lovingly described it that I now feel a kinship toward it. It is The Chocolate Girl by Jean-Etienne Liotard. Thanks for bringing up this topic Crystal! Nice memories and things to think about.
    And p.s. I've been wanting to see Bright Star for some time. So it's a good movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched part of that movie last week also. I think it was on Starz. Sorry to say I didn't finish it I had to go to bed. I'll have to finish it when it's on again. I'd love to see you paint a period piece. That would be a lot of fun. Great inspirational moment blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Crystal - found you through a mutual blogger friend - and loved your Inspirations post and earlier that Louis Pateur quote you shared with us about children. Had a good laugh about the fair incident. Most of all, have found a truly talented portrait painter. I'll certainly come again - lots of times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Period costumes are awe inspiring! I have a collection of costume books with illustrations and photos of period clothing going back to early Egyptian days. It will be important to have really good reference for such clothing, the way it hangs and moves, etc. Can't wait to see what you do! And that adoreable child reminds me of my son at that age - such angels especially when sleeping:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post, Crystal. I have some photos of some beautiful old dresses in a shop downtown that I' gladly send you to paint if you'd like. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a look at the painting - It is powerful isn't it? I am feeling inspired to paint something different and imaginative now, following all of those still lifes I have had to do for my course. I just need to figure out what! Maybe I should take a leaf from your book and go through some photographs! Your little boy is SO cute! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, your posts feel like some sort of pep talks. Each one of them is full of ideas and inspirations. I am so glad I found your blog.
    Best wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Crystal , Visited ur blog today to catch up with ur works.
    But was greeted with this sweet post of yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails